Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Passed the GK Test - How ? & What's Next?

Hi All,

I passed all 4 GK subtests. My strategy was 1) find the minimum passing % to pass the subtests, which I found at http://www.firn.edu/doe/sas/ftce/pdf/ftcefelechart.pdf
since it only took 58% to pass the Math portion and 65% to pass the Reading, I did not study for the tests - plus I did well on the pretests in those areas. 2) I studied and took the pretests (many pretests found in Cliffs & the State study guides) on the two areas I knew I would have problems with - English Skills & Essay. 3) When I took the tests, if I had time left over, I would go back over the questions I had problems with. 4) On the English Skills test, I worked backwards, starting with the last page and ending with the 1st page. 5) On the Essay I kept it to 4 paragraphs - two middle paragraphs were examples, with the first paragraph the intro and the last the conclusion.

What's next? - I plan on taking my Subject test Middle Math in July, since it is not offered online. I plan on taking the Prof. Ed. test online, Middle Grades Integrated online (thanks Stephanie for the idea of adding MGI to be more marketable as a teacher), Business Ed. online (hopefully the price will drop from $75).

Hope everyone else did well on the GK test.

1 comment:

stephanie said...

Good job Todd! There was no doubt in my mind that you would pass.